Friday 25 July 2014

Reading Wednesday Thursday Friday.

If's been a while since I've done one of these but it's not been for a lack of reading!

What I've finished reading
Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. I thought it managed to hold up the atmosphere and uneasiness factor the whole way through, and I was definitely intrigued by the biologist, though I was a little unsure about the Crawler scene. I'm not sure I'll reread this, but I'm glad I read it and I'll be reading the next book in the Trilogy, Authority, as I'm even more curious about Area X now.

The Chicagoland Vampire series by Chloe Neill. I spent about a fortnight reading these and they were exactly what I needed them to be: fast, enjoyable reads that distracted me. I was a little disappointed that I didn't love the rest of the books as much as I loved the first one, but not enough to stop me adoring certain characters or carry on reading. I will be reading new books in the series as they come out, but I think they will be library only books.

Poison Study by Maria V Snyder. I first read this years ago and though I hadn't really planned on rereading it, it crossed my desk at work and it really appealed to the mood I was in. I really enjoyed reading it again even if it did feel a little clunkier in some places than I remember. The main romance seemed a lot less sudden for me this time, but I think this is just that I have become better at reading subtext since then rather than I was expecting it. I plan on catching up with the other two in the trilogy sometime soon.

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith. As with the first one, my main reaction was ROBIN! and this time around I really appreciated Strike a lot more. I definitely agree with those who say the locations are a bit over described, but that didn't stop me enjoying it and after a while I stopped noticing as the book completely sucked me in. My overall reaction is the same as the first one as well; really enjoyed it, don’t particularly plan on rereading it, but I’m looking forward to the next one.

I DNF'd Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon. I finally admitted it just wasn't doing anything for me so off to the charity shop it goes.


What I'm reading
The Shadow Throne by Django Wexler. Well, I've only just started this but it is shaping up to be full of political intrigue and I've really liked what I've read so far.

Thief's Magic by Trudi Canavan. It's hard to tell if its me or the book, but I've lost a lot of my initial enthusiasm for this. I did skim ahead though and it seems like I will like it later on so I'll carry on with this next week when I've had a chance to relax and get some enthusiasm back.

What' I'm reading next
I've got a pile of books I plan to read on my week off: Authority, The Martian by Andy Weir, The Lascar's Dagger by Glenda Larke, and Girls, Goddesses and Giants by Lari Don.

No comments:

Post a Comment