Friday 5 April 2013

What I'm reading

This week has been rather stressful, but I'm off the whole weekend, and one of my cacti is flowering so it must be spring!

What are you currently reading?


Still reading Quiet by Susan Cain – actually it’s been the sort of week where I haven’t picked it up at all. I did finally start Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George. It seems all right so far, though it hasn’t sucked me in properly yet like some of George’s earlier work has. I also started A Place of Execution by Val McDermid as my break time read. I am rather enjoying it so far – I didn’t want to put it down and go back to work this evening.

What did you recently finish reading?

Someone Like You by Cathy Kelly. It was, all right I suppose is the word. I raced through it but thought it dragged a little in places, some things were just a little too pat to seem properly plausible, and I didn’t like one of the protagonists at several points. I did finish it though, and it was an enjoyable enough book to read curled up with a mug of tea on a miserable afternoon. I feel like I’m damning it with faint praise but while it wasn’t brilliant, I did enjoy it enough to keep reading. I can’t ever see myself rereading it though, and I won’t go seeking out anything else by Kelly.

The Husband Hunt
by Lynsay Sands. Well I didn’t finish it exactly. I correctly guessed who the villain was at his first appearance, and normally that wouldn’t put me off, but by page 70 I hadn’t connected with the characters at all, and it really wasn’t shaping up to a book that I would enjoy so back it went.

It feels like a rubbish week for books. Hopefully next week will be better.

What do you think you’ll read next?

I would like to get further into Quiet, and finish Believing the Lie so possibly only Fade to Black by Francis Knight as it came in at the library, and I’ve been looking forward to it since I read a sample chapter.

Link of the week - fantasybookcafe is hosting Women in SFF month. It’s only just started but there are some great posts already.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the month.

Still on the subject of books, the blurb for Val McDermid's new Tony Hill and Carol Jordan book was released this week. I wasn't impressed with the last one at all, and I wasn't sure if I was going to bother much with this one, but I'm pretty sure the blurb has been tailored to get me waiting on the edge of my seat until it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment