Wednesday 26 June 2013

What I'm reading 26/6/13

It's been a busy couple of weeks for me, between my wee brother graduating uni, getting reading for holidays and various other bits and bobs. It certainly doesn't feel like a fortnight since I did the last reading Wednesday.

What are you currently reading?

I'm two thirds of the way through Laidlaw by William McIlvanney, and enjoying it so far. I've just started Blade Reforged by Kelly McCullough, and it's like rolling yourself up in your favourite quilt by which I mean I love it, and I had to hold myself back from reading it when it arrived this morning as there was this pesky thing called work I had to go to.

What did you recently finish reading?

Last week there was only a quick reread of Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold due to brain-space issues, and I enjoyed it just as much this time as I did the first time.

This week, I raced through Natural Causes by James Oswald. It was another one of these hyped books that I thought lived up to the hype. It was incredibly easy to read, one of those books that you almost just sink into and look up later to find hours have gone by and you've read most of the book without being aware of time. There were a couple of moments where I laughed out loud, and I enjoyed both the characters and the plot. llI'll definitely be reading the next one when it's out in a week or two.

I also read The Mad Duke's Bride by Loretta Chase after seeing it recommended on Dear Author. I greatly enjoyed it, though I wish it would have been longer - it's a novella, and I do think it works at that length, but I quite adored the main characters and would have liked to have seen a little more past where it ended. I think I'll give Chase another go when I come across another one of her books. 

What do you think you’ll read next?

I really need to finish Laidlaw ASAP. After that I'm on holiday next week so I think it's going to be finishing Blade Reforged, and rereads of The Thief's Gamble by Juliet E McKenna and The Barbed Coil by J V Jones while I'm away and trying not to kill either my brother or sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment