Tuesday 4 June 2013

Cacti, gin and yarn - a grand day out

Friday was our annual visit to Gardening Scotland, and as usual we had a great time. There is always so much to see and admire even if you don't end up buying half the show.

My first port of call is always the Craig House Cacti stand. Succulents are just about my favourite plants, and they always have a lovely display and a good range to buy.




This year's haul, from top to bottom: Dioscorea Elephanipes, Pachypodium saundersii (left), Echeveria 'Perle von Nurnberg'(right), Aeonium arboreum atropurpureum 'Schwarzkopf'.

The show is now the only time I ever buy succulents or cacti, and all of my plants from Craig House Cacti have survived for a good many years - my oldest at the moment is just past seven years of me owning it.

Then it was on to the Scot's Cheer stand. I love their Damson Gin, and this year there was a new variety of gin - gooseberry and ginger. So new they don't even have proper labels yet!


The damson gin is almost sweet and it's lovely with tonic, or even on it's own, and it's a favourite of mine to curl up with a good book. The gooseberry and ginger is also delightful - so summery and refreshing. I'll definitely be buying another bottle next year.

Then my last purchase of the day - yarn from Ripples Crafts, because of course I can't go anywhere without buying yarn. I'm quite glad we ran across the stall, as we didn't get a good look at the stand at the Edinburgh Yarn festival as it was so busy. Rightly so, as there are so many gorgeous yarns for sale.


It's a 4ply mix of wool and nylon, and I think that eventually it is going to be a pair of socks. None of the pictures I took really do the colour changes justice but this one is the best. The whole skein is a glorious mix of blues, purples and reds, and I just want to keep fondling it.

Last of all was the Allium stand in the floral hall. I love Alliums but I don't have the garden for them so I'm reduced to drooling over them at the show every year.

 

 I didn't get any other pictures of the many gorgeous displays and show gardens as I was too busy scooting about enjoying myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment