Tuesday 16 July 2013

Knitted increases

One of the things I love about knitting is that there is always something new to learn or to appreciate. Lately for me it's been how different various increases can look.

Up until fairly recently, I've been doing increases whatever way was easiest as I've been knitting items where the look of it hasn't been hugely important. Cue Secret project number one.

It's a blanket made from mitred squares, a simple project that has been ideal for knitting whilst watching tv or when I'm brain dead. I'm following the method I first saw in Lorna Miser's Faith, Hope, Love, Knitting, and increasing one stitch either side of a stocking stitch ridge, and I grew curious as to how different the squares would look with different increases. Since the blanket is made up from squares, it really is the perfect project to footer about with and see what happens.

I started off with a KFB increase (knitting into the front and back of the same stitch) and you can see how less pronounced the ridge is on one side.

yellow knitted square on wooden background. Square is knitted in garter stitch, and the stocking stitch rib running from point to point is less prominent on one side.


I wasn't too keen on how these looked so after a few of these squares, I moved on to trying an m1R (picking up the loop between stitches from the back and then knitting into the front of this new loop) increase.

Another yellow knitted square. This time the ridge is more prominent on the top half. The lower half is slightly less prominent on one side, and there are a few mistakes in the ridge itself.


Apart from the few slips ups at the bottom of the square (it turns out there is actually a point when you are too brain dead to knit even the simplest of patterns) you can see the ridge is equally prominent, and I much prefer the appearance of this square.

The experiment started off knitting with an m1L increase (the same but picking up from the front and knitting into the back) on the left hand side, and even that has a slight difference as you can make out the tiny holes. Actually I'm not sure what happened there - it's supposed to be an invisible increase, and often is with me, but I think the ridge is altering things slightly. I'll have to investigate that further.

Isn't it all just fun?:D

And of course, I also learned that lemon is not the best colour to show off these differences. Ah well, you live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment