Sunday 23 March 2014

What I'm reading

What I've finished reading: (aka why I've been awfully quiet lately)

Honour's Knight by Rachel Bach. Like the first, this hit all my favourite spots, though possibly even more so. Badass mercenary who keeps on going when she's frightened or incredibly angry? Descriptions that have me on the edge of my seat (quarry scenes is all I'm going to say). Romance with proper problems but they actually talk to each other? Space politics and scary odds? Sold! Plus the fight scenes are fantastic. I'm not one for them normally but Bach writes them brilliantly, and I love Devi's armour. In short, I'm once again waiting impatiently for the next one.

The Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. (Moon Called, Blood Bound, Iron Kissed, Bone Crossed, Silver Borne, River Marked, Frost Burned and Night Broken.) I am rather fussy about the urban fantasy that I read, even more so about those involving werewolves, but when I fall for a series I fall hard. This series is a perfect example. I raced through the books, loving every second and annoyed when I had to put them down to do something else. I love the whole world buildings, all the characters and Brigg's writing. Can't wait for there to be more in the series!

I also read Fair Game by Patricia Briggs. I was going to wait and read that series in order as well, but Fair Game came in first and I couldn't resist. Supernatural crime with a bit of established romantic angst (but not too much) and awesome women - three of my favourite things in one book. Of course I loved it and I'm waiting not so patiently for the first two books.

What I'm reading:

I'm about a quarter of the way through Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie now, and I can see why everyone was talking about it so much. I am liking it a lot, but I'm finding I have to have enough brain space to settle into reading it. It's more a statement on my brain at the moment than the book though. I'mm looking forward to finishing it.

What I'm reading next:

The other two books in the Alpha and Omega series once I get them, and I have the Aralorn ombinus by Briggs lined up as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment